Here is Taco Empanadas recipe, If you are looking for Enjoyable recipe,you can just look with recipe category in Kid Friendly. On this recipe we’re making for 10 servings person.
Cook Time : 20 minutes | Serving : 10 servings
- 1/2 pound 93% ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 small onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon bell pepper (minced)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces canned tomato sauce (1/4 can)
- 5 tbsp part-skim shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup 5 oz unbleached all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure its not expired or it wont rise)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (use Stonyfield or Fage, not regular yogurt, not Chobani, it will be too sticky)
- 1 whole egg (beaten)
- For the meat:
- Brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well.
- Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover.
- Simmer on low for about 15 minutes, uncover and simmer until dry, about 8 to 12 minutes. You dont want any liquid remaining, it will make the dough soggy.
- For the dough:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Place on a floured work surface and roll the dough out until its very thin. Cut circles about 4-3/4 inches (I used a small work bowl turned upside down) cut out as many rounds as you can.
- With the remaining dough, roll out and form into more rounds. I got 10 altogether.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture on each round topped with 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- Brush the edges with egg wash then fold the edge over and crimp with a fork.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 22 minutes, or until golden
Tags : Kid Friendly